They say that the key to eating healthy is ‘eating rainbows’, or ‘colorful’ foods (like berry-rich, leafy green salads)! Check out this Heart Healthy Salad recipe from HeartAtWorkRecipes.com for a nutrient-rich lunch that your kids will LOVE to munch on during those socially-distanced picnics at the park!
- 1 Package Organic Arugula, Baby Spinach, and Butter leaf Lettuce Leafy green vegetables are so good for you it’s staggering. On top of all this, leafy greens are rich in fiber, which lowers cholesterol and reduces your risk of heart disease.
- 1 Can/Jar Hearts of Palm
- 1 Container Grape Tomatoes Tomatoes have two key nutrients that have a big impact on heart health: lycopene and potassium. Some research shows that lycopene may lower LDL, or “bad” cholesterol.
- 1/2 Cup Green Olives Olives are very high in vitamin E and other powerful antioxidants. Studies show that they are good for the heart, and may protect against osteoporosis and cancer. The healthy fats in olives are extracted to produce extra virgin olive oil, one of the key components of the incredibly healthy Mediterranean diet.
- 2 Chopped Green Onions Onion is high in vitamins and minerals and antioxidants and some benefits may include reducing the risk of heart disease.
- 1/2 Cup Sunflower Seeds Sunflower seeds contain high levels of both monounsaturated and omega-6 fats, and may help reduce inflammation and cholesterol levels.
- 1/2 Cup Raw Almonds The health benefits of almonds include lower blood sugar levels, reduced blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels.
- Handful Craisins
- 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed Meal Flax’s primary healthy benefit is due to the omega-3 essential fatty acids, “good” fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects.
- 1/4 Cup Shaved Parmesan
- Extra Virgin Felippo Berio Olive Oil To Taste-Olive oil helps decrease the total cholesterol and “bad” LDL cholesterol levels
- Alessi Balsamic Vinegar To Taste-Balsamic vinegar has antioxidants present that help protect the body from heart disease
- 2-3 Dashes Garlic Salt or Sea Salt
- 10 Grinds Fresh Black Pepper
Rinse and Wash all veggies and combine these heart healthy ingredients for a splendid salad…Enjoy!!! 😊